Yamaha AV Controller Enhancement Thread (Windows Phone)

Coordinator
May 3, 2012 at 12:11 PM

This thread is designed to discuss possible enhancements to the Windows Phone version of the Yamaha AV Controller. If you have a general enhancement request, please use the main Yamaha AV Controller Enhancement Thread.

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:22 AM
  1. Ability to navigate through folders of content for Net Radio input
  2. Ability to navigate through folders of content for PC input
  3. Send Music from phone directly to Amp - not sure this is possible but latest IOS version does it somehow.
  4. Pin actions to phone home page. Eg a button that turned on the amp, set to main zone, set to Net Radio, Volume 28.
Coordinator
Jun 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm currently working on features 1 & 2. It should also work for your Pandora stations as well.

Currently #3 isn't possible with the existing Windows Phone API's. We'll see what happens on the 24th of this month. Microsoft should be taking the covers off of the next version of Windows Phone and hopefully touch on some (if any) of the enhancements in the media department.

#4 is a great idea and something that I'll definitely be doing.

I'll update this thread as soon as some of these features are ready to try out.

Coordinator
Jun 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM

The latest build now should support list controls. I'll admit, it's not the best implementation. But I was really knocking my head against the wall. The only thing I have to go by is a iPhone 3G S running it's commands through fiddler. It was odd watching it. What I came to realize is that invoking list commands are not instantaneous on the device. For example, selecting a particular channel. You have to first jump to that position in the list then select the current item in the list (i.e. the one you just 'jumped' to). The problem is if you invoke the select command to fast, the jump command hasn't processed. The odd thing is that I'm waiting until I hear back and get a 200 OK from the jump command, yet sometimes it takes a little while before it actually  . . . jumps. So in short, I'm not sure if this is going to be a feature I'll release in the market place just yet. But of course, the bits are there so feel free to use it on your own build.

Let me know how the feature works for you. I'm going to divert some energy right now to working on getting the app ready for submission into the market place. So if you don't see an activity anytime soon on this thread don't worry, I'll make sure to get to all of these enhancements at some point.

Cheers.

Jun 16, 2012 at 7:26 AM

FYI, hit the IP of the amp in a browser you get a really aweful web interface, maybe easier to use fiddler on?

Awesome to see #1 and #2 in the latest build. Agree they are little funky but it does add a tonne of functionality.

Love the app, now my primary control app for the amp. We tested on the Nokia Lumia 800 and HTC HD7 without issue. Test in various colours on both black and white theme.

Some suggestions, certainly don't impliment/change unless you agree:

1) Screen real estate for content is limited. Tough. Easily combine the current volume with the dsp eg: -27.5dB - 2ch Stereo on one line.

2) List really suffer from above. New screen could be better (launch from an icon in the application bar (bottom)), use a jump list (gives shortcuts to letters) for long lists.

3) Left align text in lists

4) I liked the power button as an icon on the application bar (bottom), latest build has it a hidden item.

5) Bug in list, if no items then stuck on "refreshing", go back one list and it won't auto refresh, have to manually hit refresh. Tested on PC -> Playlists.

6) Many apps put a "rate a review" link as a hidden button in the application bar (where "power off" currently is) Handy to give you some good credit. Also seen apps where if the person hasn't rated you on a simple counter after 5 times opening the application prompt them to rate and review :)

7) In the device list I get 3 "Docks" and 2 "USB" everything else is as per the amp / other apps. Minor, not sure why.

Jun 16, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Some more future suggestions for vnext after comparing to web UI :)

#5 display the current song/album/station etc

#6 Skip, Back, Play, Pause, Stop, Shuffle, repeat buttons.

#7 Sleep functions (I don't use this often but nice to have)

Jun 16, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Marketplace tips:

1) Need an about screen with privacy policy

2) Keep your blurb really simple, we got rejected 3 times on our blurb (less is more here)

3) How are the testers going to test the app in the certification process? Maybe ok, just add that you need a yamaha amp in the testing notes :)

4) Emulator can take the exactly sized screenshots you need for the submission.

Ping me if you have any questions.

Coordinator
Jun 18, 2012 at 5:27 PM
Edited Jun 18, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Hey,

So oddly enough, my receiver's web interface (just hitting its IP from the browser) only allows me to change the hostname of the receiver. I managed to dig through the source to find some javascript and some image resources that appear to have been to a remote, but for whatever reason, it doesn't work for the RX-V867. It was from that JavaScript that I managed to find the write post arguments to send to enable or disable party mode.

Glad to hear the app is your primary control now. I think the changes that I just made will help to improve your user experience. In particular, speeding up drastically the refresh time. I really tried to make sure I cut down on the number of web requests I'm making so the bulk of what needs to be done is done when you first load the receiver. I didn't notice it too much on the emulator (where my PC is hardwired) but my wireless network is miserable (too many other wifi networks way to close) so I noticed a good perf gain on the device. Now to some of your feedback :)

1. -> I'll def fool around with this. I think you're right. The only reason I had it on 2 lines at first, is so the touch area for the volume progress bar is a little larger. I'll make a few changes and see how well it is on the device. It would be nice to be able to see an additional input on the screen if we could manage that.

2. -> I'm still not sure how I feel about the list feature. I may pull it before submitting to the Marketplace. I have to see. I know it's a great feature, I just feel like the implementation I have out there is kind of a hack. So we'll see how it goes. But I totally agree, it doesn't really 'fit' where it is now. But if I can get the data part working a little more efficiently and accurately, I'll def use your suggestion with a separate page and take advantage of jump lists. Couldn't agree more.

3. -> LOL -> This is something I'm notorious for. I'm getting the feeling that I'm one of the few people that love center aligned lists. Don't worry, I'll change it :)

5. -> Hmm ok. I'll investigate as well and see what I can come up with.

6. -> Good idea. I'll make sure to put that in their.

7. -> If you could, can you send me a .SAZ file from fiddler after you refresh the device (on the device select screen). I'm not sure why you're seeing that but the fact that you have a difference receiver could have something to do with it. I'll try to figure out what's going on and at the very least, ensure I remove duplicate entries.

Quick question on 6. When you select any of the 'Docks', do they all tune the receiver to the Dock input? Or are 2 entries invalid (i.e. do nothing) and you have to select the 'right' dock entry in the app?

Playback information & Playback control are next on my todo list. And I'll look into the sleep function. My real goal is to have complete parity with the official apps so people using Windows Phones still don't feel like they're left out. It's an impression I'm working hard to change.

Thanks again for your feedback John. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Coordinator
Jun 18, 2012 at 5:31 PM

'Marketplace Feedback'

1. I'll try to write something small about the privacy policy.

2. I had no idea the blurb should be so short. I'll try to make it as concise as possible.

3. Yea. I'll definitely add that. Hopefully one of them will have it. I'll also tell them to look into this open source project so they can take a look at our feedback, so I'm not the only one who can use it. Additionally I was thinking about creating a 'Demo' app, like the iOS version has. Just so they can see how the app works if they were connected to a device.

4. Good call on the emulator. Once we 'finalize' a few more of the UI bits, I'll definitely use that to take the shots. I'll also make sure I turn off those frame rates on the side so the shots are nice and clean.

Thanks again. I'm hoping to wrap up development this week (Friday ideally) and push that build I have on Friday to the Market Place. If all goes well I'd like to have the app in the store by July 4th. But we will see :)

Coordinator
Jun 18, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Power Button

So here's my problem with the power button. It was too close to volume and I was worried users would get upset at accidentally turning off their device when all they wanted to do was raise the volume. That's why I put it in two spaces. It's now in the hidden app bar item, but you can also just touch On or Off at the top to toggle the power. The cool thing about that is that if you go to the zone select screen, you can toggle the power of all of your zones, then go back to the main zone. I was thinking about putting 'All On' / 'All Off' buttons on the zone select screen to help the user quickly startup or shutdown all of their zones. Not sure how practical it would be though.

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I really like the volume slider, so if changing the text layout breaks it then don't change it.

Completely understand the rational on the power button and yes I do like it in the zone selection, not completely obvious it is a button though.

The List feature adds a tonne of functionality but completely understand that it would be better to pull it out and release something solid, can always put it in the next version.

On the multiple "Docks", yes they all work, do the same thing. Just looked at fiddler and they is 3 dock items, all have the "title" of "dock" Param of "ipod", "bluetooth" and "UAW". Weird hey? I wouldn't worry about it, snippet of the XML follows:

<Item_3><Param>iPod</Param><RW>RW</RW><Title>DOCK</Title><Icon><On>/YamahaRemoteControl/Icons/icon011.png</On><Off></Off></Icon><Src_Name>iPod</Src_Name><Src_Number>1</Src_Number></Item_3>
<Item_4><Param>Bluetooth</Param><RW>R</RW><Title>DOCK</Title><Icon><On>/YamahaRemoteControl/Icons/icon011.png</On><Off></Off></Icon><Src_Name>Bluetooth</Src_Name><Src_Number>1</Src_Number></Item_4>
<Item_5><Param>UAW</Param><RW>R</RW><Title>DOCK</Title><Icon><On>/YamahaRemoteControl/Icons/icon011.png</On><Off></Off></Icon><Src_Name></Src_Name><Src_Number>1</Src_Number></Item_5>
Coordinator
Jun 19, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Don't worry about the Volume slider, it's not going anywhere. If you try one of the recent builds, you'll see the change you suggested. I think It looks good. Gave us an extra visible Input item. Thanks for the feedback on that.

I'm going to try and replace the power button from Text to a power button icon. After I push out the build I'll let you know and we'll discuss would version (text or icon) makes it more obvious to the user that it's a clickable button. We'll see which works / looks better.

Thanks for the snippet, it's very helpful. I'll chime back after I do some more testing to see if I can come to a solution.

Coordinator
Jun 19, 2012 at 6:23 PM

So I just pushed out a new build (69361). This build has the change to the power button from text to an icon. I think this will help convey the point that the user can press the button itself. Let me know what you think.

I've also put in a block of code to fix your issue. I noticed on my device that the iPod is also default to the title of Dock, so it comes up as Dock in the Phone App. I have a feeling most users are not going to change the names of the inputs of their devices, so if a input is Titled as 'Dock', I'll replace the title with the param value. That way iPod comes up as iPod, Bluetooth as Bluetooth, etc.

Let me know what you think of these two changes. The one thing you will have to do is after you push the new build to your phone(s), you'll need to press refresh on the device select screen to re-initialize all of the inputs. This is because I've cut down pretty drastically on the number of web requests I make to 'refresh' the state of the zone when you're working with the app. I'm assuming most people won't change the names of their inputs all that frequently and I'll be sure to create a link to a FAQ page. That way I can list some hints on how to get the most out of the application or provide some help when users are having trouble.

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2012 at 5:40 PM

So you really got me thinking and I decided to take your suggestion, use the long list selector and create a dedicated page for browsing lists. After working on it I feel a little more comfortable on having it a day 1 release. Build 69369 has the new feature. I still have a bunch more testing to do on it, but so far it's looking pretty good. Let me know what you think. I'm also going to try and work on getting playback control working. Might as well be as feature complete as possible before the initial release. Let me know what you think

Thanks.

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Looking awesome!

I'm not sure how others use there amplifier but for me this is covering everything. I can toggle zones, inputs and importantly for me, change net radio stations and navigate music on my NAS with ease. Great work!

I like the new "play" section, looks great. Can't fault the app at all, been playing with every function for about two hours this morning. You need to get this into the marketplace!

Multiple dock/usb input is sorted, looks great.

Few really minor things:

1) power button in zone, need to move the power icon inside the circle up exactly one pixel to look centered.

2) long list selector. Great for long list, looks a little odd on short lists. I'll have a quick look into how hard it would be to look liek a normal list if < 20 items, switch to long list mode >=20. Ideally if it had a property to toggle you could bind to a property based on the lists count. One issue I can predict is in long list form it re-orders the items alphabetically, great for long lists but not for when your looking at the 12 tracks of an album, want them in the track order.

Let me know if you want me to test anything specifically, look forward to seeing it in the marketplace!

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Info on #2 above:

Quick look at the doco for the long list selector, in order to do this you'd have to set IsFlatList="True" and also change the datasource not to be grouped. Sounds tricky, I'd leave it as you have it for the moment. http://www.windowsphonegeek.com/articles/wp7-longlistselector-in-depth--part1-visual-structure-and-api  

Coordinator
Jun 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Hey,

Sorry for the delay. I'm in the process of moving and it's taking a little longer then I anticipated. If all goes well I should be done by this weekend and should be back into the swing of things (development) by sometime early next week.

I'm so glad you enjoy using the app. I basically started this project purely so I could use my Windows phone to control my device. But after hearing your feedback, I'm confident that there are other users out there that'll enjoy using it as well. I'm really excited about getting it into the marketplace. Speaking of which, I'm just finalizing a few things with creating my own company. Once that's all flushed out, I'll submit the app and hopefully it'll be in the marketplace :)

Glad you like the play section. It was kind of quick but I like the way it came out. I don't think there's much to do there. The only thing that's a little odd is the fact that right now, I don't auto-refresh the app. Granted as soon as you come back from lock screen it'll refresh, but if you have the app open and the song changes, you won't see it. I'm torn between having it constantly refresh (every 30 seconds / 10 seconds?) or just letting the user manually refresh it at their leisure. Do you have any thoughts on that?

#1 - Power Button - I'm thinking of replacing the icon with the Select Switch from the phoney toolkit. I was having issues loading that framework, so I just downloaded the source and pulled out the styling of the button. Once I get my receiver hooked up, I'll test it out, make sure it works. But I really liked the look / feel of that button and I think it'll fit nicely inside of my app. If that doesn't work, I'll gladly position the icon up a pixel to have it aligned correctly.

#2 - Long List Selector - So I completely agree. With a short list, it looks a little ridiculous. So the short way to do it is to take your advice and flatten the list when we have some threshold of items. I like that. But then I was thinking. Maybe it should work just like the device. Where you see 8 items and go page by page. Or have the ability to jump 10 pages forward or back. That way for long lists, we wouldn't have to make all of the requests to populate the data. We'd just let the user jump to where they need. Screens will load faster because it's only loading 8 items (which is effectively 1 network request). My only challenge is how to layout the icons to page up / page down. I have a few ideas on how it could look, so we'll see how it goes. Just wanted to get your feedback on that idea as well.

Thanks again and I'll touch base as soon as I can. Can't wait to be settled in to my new place and get back to work :)

Coordinator
Aug 20, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Just wanted to let you know, the app is finally out in the store. Check it out:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/9b46214f-64ae-4bbe-9514-8b975519c38d

Hope all is well.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Congratulations! Looks great, awesome work :)

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I had been waiting for this for ages :-) Just downloaded and tried it yesterday. Thanx a lot for a great app. However I have a slight problem when browsing through servers in the PC mode (I have not tried other options yet). I have 3 servers available (WHS 2011, WIN7 machine, Serviio, in this order) and whenever I want to select the first one (WHS) it always jumps to the second or third server instead. Basically I cannot browse the WHS for music. Any solution?

Coordinator
Aug 23, 2012 at 3:26 AM

SoulSolutions & Krayzie thanks a bunch for the love, I really appreciate it, especially the Windows Store rating!

Krayzie,

Not sure why that's happening. I haven't really tested the PC stuff all that much because for some reason my receiver (RX-V867) never displayed my home PC's . . . even though I set them up to share correctly. I just installed Win 8 RTM and I'll try to see if I can get my receiver to recognize my WMP library on the TV interface. If all goes well there, I'll start debugging what's going wrong with the Windows Phone app.

I'm really sorry about that, but have faith I'm sure it's something small and I'll be able to trouble shoot it. If you're feeling adventurous, and can build the solution locally and connect the emulator to Fiddler, I'd love to take a look at the HTTP sessions that are going on between the phone emulator and the receiver. It might give me some insight into what's going on and I'll try to fix the issue. If not, please just try to sit tight and I'll do my best to figure out what the deal is.

I was hoping the listing feature worked the same for the PC as it did for Pandora and Network Radio. I didn't have to do any code changes to differentiate what was going on. Maybe browsing the PC works slightly different.

Thanks again for the feedback and I'll reply to this thread as soon as I have more info, hopefully soon, but try not to hold me to that :)

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Hey, no rush :-) I am still thankful for the application. As my primary usage of the app is playing music located on a server (I have the AVR connected to a projector and therefore it is not optimal using its onscreen capabilities) this was the first thing I tried out.

I tried it again yesterday and for some reason the previous issues disappeared. I had no problems browsing through the server. Well, I did. It started loading a list of artists and it took so long that I just did not have enough patience to let it finish loading. This feature really needs big impovements.

I am a C# developer myself (though in a completely different area) however I have not tried to develop anything for WP7(WP7.5) yet. I was going to but I do not like paying 100 bucks just to develop apps for my personal use. I'll see if I can free up some time and set up the WP7.5 SDK on my machine and if you're OK with it I could start digging into this feature. I also have 1 android device with the official Yamaha AV Controller app and browsing other PCs on the network works flawlessly (maybe having a look at the apk would also help).

Just one question. Have you actually tried to contact Yamaha and officially ask for some kind of support? It should also be in their interest to have the app available on WP and like this they would not cost them basically anything.

Coordinator
Aug 23, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Krayzie,

Yea. So I know what was going on with the long time to load artists. I'm going to change that to load just 8 entries at a time and provide controls to page up or down, just like the TV interface. This should be faster then your current experience.

Glad to hear you're a C# developer. You'll really have no problem jumping into the Windows Phone SDK. I can help you out if you get stuck, feel free to PM me.

I'm going to definitely contact Yamaha. I wanted to get the app into the store and get some more feedback and make sure it's of fairly high quality. From there I'll start talking with them to get some more information about how their official apps work and hopefully get the OK to get the 'Official' tag. I also want to get the OK to release it for Windows 8 and hopefully, get some high quality assets because right now, all the images you see are taken from the Device itself and they tend to be small (48x48png). When you scale them up to a bigger form factor like the desktop or a tablet device, they don't look to pretty.

Thanks again for the feedback and don't worry, we'll get you browsing your home server and streaming music.

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Having 8 entries in the list together with the PgUp/PgDown buttons would certainly help however the Android app has no problem loading the whole library within a second so there is probably a different way to retrieve the lists (including cover images). Also, when the WP7 app starts loading the list, the AVR LCD keeps flickering, displaying every list item being added to the list - that is probably the reason why it is so slow.

Yesterday I set up Visual Express Studio 2010 for WP7 and downloaded your source code. I'll try to free up some time and get a closer look into it over the weekend.

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Hi, thanks for the great app! Unfortunately it doesnt work with my Samsung Omnia W ? Any idea why ? It founds my rx-v473 amp but then crashes immediately and goes back to app list. I dont know if this is the right place to complain about it. But let me know if anybody has any ideas what might be the problem ?

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2012 at 8:02 PM

TommiRS,

Thanks for the feedback. This is a great place to talk about features or problems.

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. But thanks for giving me a detailed description. I have a feeling it has nothing to do with your Samsung Omnia W because I'm not doing anything special on a per phone basis. I'm using all of the standard Windows Phone libraries as well as a very popular Control Toolkit (the Silverlight Control Toolkit for Windows Phone).

I have a feeling it's something with your amp. Unfortunately I only have a rx-V867 to test on as well as no documentation to go off of. Everything has been reverse engineered from my amp.

So if you wouldn't mind, I'd need some help. If you live in the greater NYC area, I'd be game for heading over and debugging the app right along side your receiver. If not, and you have a little time on your hands, I'll create a script so that I can see what data I get back from your receiver and compare it against what I'm getting from mine.

Let me know what works better for you. I've received some 1 star feedbacks and have no idea why it works perfect for some users but completely crashes for others. It'd be a huge help if you could work with me to trouble shoot this issue. I'm confident that with a little work we'll get to the bottom of this and you'll be able to use the app w.o issue.

Thanks again for downloading it and trying the app. I'm looking forward to fixing this for you so you can be up and running (as well as the other users that haven't had any success).

Cheers mate.

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Hi, jrall

Unfortunately i live in Finland! but its no problem. I will help you if i know how. I would love to get this app working and iam sure it deserves 5 stars! So let me know what to do and i will try to help you (and myself) out of this problem :)

Greetings and thanks
Tommi

To: [email removed]
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 13:02:38 -0700
Subject: Re: Yamaha AV Controller Enhancement Thread (Windows Phone) [yavc:354389]

TommiRS,
Thanks for the feedback. This is a great place to talk about features or problems.
I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. But thanks for giving me a detailed description. I have a feeling it has nothing to do with your Samsung Omnia W because I'm not doing anything special on a per phone basis. I'm using all of the standard Windows Phone libraries as well as a very popular Control Toolkit (the Silverlight Control Toolkit for Windows Phone).
I have a feeling it's something with your amp. Unfortunately I only have a rx-V867 to test on as well as no documentation to go off of. Everything has been reverse engineered from my amp.
So if you wouldn't mind, I'd need some help. If you live in the greater NYC area, I'd be game for heading over and debugging the app right along side your receiver. If not, and you have a little time on your hands, I'll create a script so that I can see what data I get back from your receiver and compare it against what I'm getting from mine.
Let me know what works better for you. I've received some 1 star feedbacks and have no idea why it works perfect for some users but completely crashes for others. It'd be a huge help if you could work with me to trouble shoot this issue. I'm confident that with a little work we'll get to the bottom of this and you'll be able to use the app w.o issue.
Thanks again for downloading it and trying the app. I'm looking forward to fixing this for you so you can be up and running (as well as the other users that haven't had any success).
Cheers mate.
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (yavc@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email yavc@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Coordinator
Sep 7, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Hey,

Ok no problem. That is a little far away, so if you wouldn't mind, I'll send you an app. I haven't written it yet but shouldn't take too long. Give me a day or so and I'll reply to this thread with an app. All you'll have to do is open it up, paste in the IP of your device, and click go. I'll try to make it so it automatically sends me a file so you won't have to do anything else.

Again, I apologize for this and I will try to get this diagnostic tool to you as soon as possible. Thanks so much for creating a code plex account and giving me this feedback.

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Hey,

Sounds good, but i wonder how can i install your tool to my phone without you putting it in marketplace. I dont have unlocked phone at the moment. I also started to think that maybe its my network that has the problem cause your PC windows tool cannot connect the amp either, it says "invalid host" Let me know what you think

Thanks
Tommi

Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 13:35:18 -0700
Subject: Re: Yamaha AV Controller Enhancement Thread (Windows Phone) [yavc:354389]

Hey,
Ok no problem. That is a little far away, so if you wouldn't mind, I'll send you an app. I haven't written it yet but shouldn't take too long. Give me a day or so and I'll reply to this thread with an app. All you'll have to do is open it up, paste in the IP of your device, and click go. I'll try to make it so it automatically sends me a file so you won't have to do anything else.
Again, I apologize for this and I will try to get this diagnostic tool to you as soon as possible. Thanks so much for creating a code plex account and giving me this feedback.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (yavc@discussions.codeplex.com)
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Coordinator
Sep 8, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Hey,

I was going to send you a little Windows App that you can run on your home network to try and figure out what's going on with the device and why it's not connecting. Do you have a machine at your house that's running a version of Windows and is connected to the same network as your device?

If you're unable to connect to the device, try ensuring that Network Standby is set to on. It should be located in the network settings of your device. That needs to be set to on for the application to work.

I'm working on the diagnostic app right now. Hopefully it shouldn't be too much longer.

Sep 8, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Hi,

Ok, i have Windows 7 in my pc and Windows 7.5 running in my Samsung i think. I got that pc app working now and all the devices are running same network. Phone still crashes with the app though.

Greetings
Tommi

Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 09:17:48 -0700

Hey,
I was going to send you a little Windows App that you can run on your home network to try and figure out what's going on with the device and why it's not connecting. Do you have a machine at your house that's running a version of Windows and is connected to the same network as your device?
If you're unable to connect to the device, try ensuring that Network Standby is set to on. It should be located in the network settings of your device. That needs to be set to on for the application to work.
I'm working on the diagnostic app right now. Hopefully it shouldn't be too much longer.
Coordinator
Sep 8, 2012 at 6:59 PM
Edited Sep 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Cool.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/297665/yavc.Diagnostics.zip

Download the above application. It's built using .NET 3.5 so you should have no problem running on your Windows 7 box. Fire it up, enter in your device name (RX-V473) as well ass your hostname or IP of the receiver. Then hit run. It might take a minute or so to processes, but if you get a success message box at the end, all went well and the diagnostic information should be sent to me.

Let me know if you have any problems and I'll update this thread after I get the diagnostic info.

Thanks again for helping me out with this Tommi.

P.S. - After you dl the zip, extract it to your desktop and run yavc.Diagnostics.Tool.exe

Sep 8, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Damn,

I cant get it working, it doesnt find my device. Now iam sure its my network. I have to figure it out now.

Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 11:59:38 -0700

Cool.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/297665/yavc.Diagnostics.zip
Download the above application. It's built using .NET 3.5 so you should have no problem running on your Windows 7 box. Fire it up, enter in your device name (RX-V473) as well ass your hostname or IP of the receiver. Then hit run. It might take a minute or so to processes, but if you get a success message box at the end, all went well and the diagnostic information should be sent to me.
Let me know if you have any problems and I'll update this thread after I get the diagnostic info.
Thanks again for helping me out with this Tommi.
Coordinator
Sep 9, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Tommi,

Where you able to get the diag app running? I got an e-mail this morning with a result set that looked fine. It was for device v2067 though. Was that you or did you send that tool to someone else?

Hope you got it running.

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Hi,

Thats really weird, i havent send that tool to anybody and that is not my device. I havent got time to repair my network yet. I will try to do it soon.

Tommi

Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 07:42:08 -0700

Tommi,
Where you able to get the diag app running? I got an e-mail this morning with a result set that looked fine. It was for device v2067 though. Was that you or did you send that tool to someone else?
Hope you got it running.
Coordinator
Sep 14, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Hey,

No worries. Someone must've read this thread and just downloaded the tool and ran it, it's no worries. Have you had any success with your network? The only network issue I could see is if your router is looking for traffic on Port 80 and routing it to a particular IP (regardless of the local IP you're trying to connect to). Or if it's blocking all local inbound traffic on Port 80.

Krazie,

I finally have some time now to start updating the app. One of the features will be to improve the performance of Browsing. I'm going to experiment with a few different things and try to find something that works. If you're able to get the solution built and deployed to the emulator (or device) let me know. I'll tell you which builds to download so you can help test it and see if it works better for you. Thanks again for getting in touch and I hope these changes will help you out.

Sep 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Hey,

Ok, sorry ive been really busy and had no time to check the network setup. And to be honest not sure where to start. I have only wireless network in my house and receiver needs RJ45 cable so i bought this WIFI repeater thing that has RJ45 port. Thats how i got the internet radio feature working nicely and i thought that your app would work no problem too. But no problem, i will figure it out soon.

greetings
Tommi

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 07:41:43 -0700

Hey,
No worries. Someone must've read this thread and just downloaded the tool and ran it, it's no worries. Have you had any success with your network? The only network issue I could see is if your router is looking for traffic on Port 80 and routing it to a particular IP (regardless of the local IP you're trying to connect to). Or if it's blocking all local inbound traffic on Port 80.

Krazie,
I finally have some time now to start updating the app. One of the features will be to improve the performance of Browsing. I'm going to experiment with a few different things and try to find something that works. If you're able to get the solution built and deployed to the emulator (or device) let me know. I'll tell you which builds to download so you can help test it and see if it works better for you. Thanks again for getting in touch and I hope these changes will help you out.
Sep 17, 2012 at 1:46 PM

jrall,

I can build the solution and load it into the emulator. I've already tried it. I've looked into the code as well but so far I haven't had much time to sit down and try the scripts on my own. Unfortunately I will be reconstructing my apartment for the next 2 weeks and that means that I had to disassemble my AV system (PC, AVR, speakers, ...). I can start testing your builds again in 2 weeks (or so). I wish I could help you sooner. 

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I have tried adding my receiver the RX-V673 to the Windows phone app.  It does not show up when searching for it, and when I add the IP manually, the app closes itself.

Coordinator
Sep 23, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Krazie,

No worries. I appreciate any help. Do what you have to and when you have time, do what you can. Thanks for the update.

Mdtauk,

I think I have an idea what's going on with that error. I'm going to be publishing a new version of the app to the store and hopefully that will resolve it. Did you run the diagnostic app found on this thread earlier? I received an result from someone with a RX-v473 and wasn't sure who it was from.

Sep 23, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Just ran it, it said Success, but there is no log or output.  I assume the data is sent to you automatically

Coordinator
Sep 24, 2012 at 2:00 PM

mdtauk,

Thanks for running the tool. I got the results that it generated. This is the second time I've seen these types of results and I think I have a good idea why (for some users) they're having trouble launching the application. In short, my app doesn't have any images associated it. I pull the images from the device I'm connecting to so you can see a little icon for Pandora or the HDMI input your using. The logs you sent me suggest that when I try to pull those images, the device responds to me with an error. In particular, I'm getting 404's (resource not found).

It's odd, and with no documentation to work off of, the only thing I can do is catch the errors and display a default image.

Out of curiosity, could you try the following URL in your browser. (If the IP of your device changed, change the url). I'm curious to see if you see anything.

http://192.168.1.117/YamahaRemoteControl/Icons/icon040.png

Thanks again for running the app. I'm going to make this fix, test it, and submit and update to the Windows Phone store. I'm hoping you should have an update pop up on your phone in a week or so.

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Edited Sep 24, 2012 at 2:23 PM
I got a 404. I guess its just a difference in the interface it uses, where that icon does not exist. The official iOS app works with it, but that may use baked in images rather than grabbing them.
I am attaching images of the iOS interface connected to the receiver, and an image of the web interface for it, in case they can be useful for you.
Coordinator
Sep 24, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Ahh ok. Very odd. Thanks for the info.

One quick question. Was the device on Pandora (or some other network based input) while you were either running the diagnostics or trying to connect via the phone? I was able to replicate connectivity issues while that was on. Still not sure if it was something weird with my router (because after I reset the router, I was able to connect again w.o issue), but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I'll try to get a few of these stability changes done ASAP so I can get the update into the store.

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Nope no other internet based services were running on it.

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Edited Nov 2, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Hi,

have the same problem with RX A-1020. After some debugging I found that no icons are found at all. Maybe the icons-URL did change with the new RX-V73/A-x020?

I did include a dummy exception handler in PhoneImageCache.DownloadImage and now it seems to work, of course without icons.

HttpWebRequest req = HttpWebRequest.CreateHttp(new Uri(imageUri));
req.BeginGetResponse((result) =>{
       try
       {
            var r = (HttpWebRequest)result.AsyncState;
            var response = r.EndGetResponse(result);
            var stream = response.GetResponseStream();
            SaveFile(imageUri, stream);
       }
       catch{}
       onFinished.NullableInvoke();
}, req);

Any ideas on how to find the images in the new series?

BTW: Seems like you did publish the app only to the US marketplace. This way I wasn't able to download it here in Germany.  I'd recommend you publish to all availale marketplaces. Locallysiation isn't always needed, at least for me it worked fine publishing english-only version to other markets, too.

Coordinator
Nov 4, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Tal_hh,

Thank you so much for looking into this. I managed to find this out after getting some diagnostic info from another user, I just haven't updated this thread. The next version will have wrappers around pulling down icons. The UI will probably show either a generic input / scene icon or maybe just the application icon.

That's weird how you can't download the app in Germany. I could've sworn I published to all markets. I'll definitely rectify that in the next release.

Thanks again for looking into this. I'll reply to this thread with the check-in for the resolution. Hopefully you could test the changes and if we are all good.

Cheers!

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Hi All,

I have downloaded the yamaha AV receiver from the app store.  I am currently having trouble connecting to my device, the application quits after trying to connect.

I think it is the same problem as mdtauk and TommiRS.  Not sure if this helps, but when i got my receiver (1 week ago) it did a firmware update.

Thanks for your help!  Let me know if there is anything I can do to help resolve this issue.

Cheers!

Coordinator
Nov 13, 2012 at 5:01 PM

PradeepLR,

Your timing could not have been better. I just submitted a new version to the app store. I'm hoping the problems we discussed in this thread our resolved. As soon as the app passes certification (fingers crossed) I'll notify this thread. From there if you could update the app and see if you can get it to work that'd be amazing.

I'm really sorry you had to deal with this. It's something I never encountered while testing with my device. I hope these changes work and look forward to hearing back from you.

The app should be certified within the next 5 days.

TAL_HH,

I tried to make sure that my app is being deployed to all markets. When the update is published, I'll let you know and hopefully you'll be able to download it from the store.

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2012 at 7:20 PM
Edited Nov 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM

All,

The latest version of the Application has passed certification and should be available in the application store. 

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/yamaha-av-controller/9b46214f-64ae-4bbe-9514-8b975519c38d

I have to change the application Icon (only for the web and store) so I'll be updating the release again, but not changing any code. Hopefully that change will go live within 24 hours.

To all who were having issues. If you could download the latest update and let me know if you're able to connect, that'd be awesome. I'm hoping these changes resolve the issues you were facing. Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

If all is working with this version, we can start working on new features and try to get parity with the iOS and Android counterparts.

Cheers.

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Hi,

thanks for the app!

But  I tested the version 1.1.0.0 on my RX-v673 and the application crashes in the starting up on loading 0 %. (Phone : HTC Mozart and LUMIA 800).

On my tablet under Android the application works !

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Hi,

first: I was now able to download the app from German Marketplace but it still crashes with RX-A1010 at 0% - so I assume it is still the old problem without my fix. How can I tell if this is really a new version (I haven't seen a new icon and marketplace sys V1.1.0.0)

BTW: my private build with myfix mentioned above generally works fine with the newer A-x020 series but I found two problems with browsing internet radio (maybe music server, too - still have to test it): while browsing internet radio, moving "up" doesn't work. And at the top level: if I select the favorites the progress bar keeps on spinning but the command seemed to work: going out and back into the list of stations then shows the correct lsting

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Hi,

New to this forum so let me start by thanking jrall for the app. I just installed it a couple of hours ago on my Nokia 920 and it connects to my 671 receiver without any issues. 

I think the one big gap between this and the iOS/Android controller is the ability to play music stored on the phone itself. Or maybe there is some way to the app to recognize the phone as a PC?

Also (and this is probably nothing to do with the app), Net Radio doesn't work on my receiver (doesn't list any stations at all) - it's not the internet connection because Pandora works. Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks much,

Peter

Coordinator
Nov 20, 2012 at 3:27 PM

All,

I apologize for the confusion. The recent 1.1 update didn't have the changes that TAL_HH notified us about. I must've forgotten to check them in. I put them in with Changset 70607 (http://yavc.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/70607) and will be deploying it to the store today. Hopefully in a few days it'll be live and the app won't be crashing when attempting to load.

I'm glad that the app is now available in the German marketplace. I really appreciate that info and I'll be sure to update our other apps so we target the largest audience possible. I never would've found out that issue if it wasn't for you TAL_HH, thanks again.

Peterpunn,

Welcome to codeplex and you're very welcome for the application.

Unfortunately, playing music from the phone to the device is not possible due to the Windows Phone API. I have to see if it's possible with the WP8 SDK, but as for the WP7.1 SDK, a developer can not get a handle to the raw MP3s (or WMA's) that are contained on the device. So for now, this is going to have to be one feature that will have to wait to be implemented. The only way to access this data is if you're a OEM (like HTC, Samsung, Nokia). They each have DLNA apps in their respective stores that do exactly what you'd like. So if you want, you can download that app and stream music to your Yamaha device. I have a HTC Trophy, downloaded Connected Devices and was able to stream music to my RX-V867 without issue. The app isn't too great, but at least it's something.

As for your Net Radio situation, I'm not too sure. Are you able to browse stations using the Yamaha UI (i.e. using your TV connected to your receiver to browse stations with the IR remote)? If you're able to do that, but are having problems with the Windows Phone app not showing any items, let me know and we'll work through it.

Sorry again to everyone for pushing an update out that didn't have the included fix. I'll be sure to notify this thread as soon as the next update is live.

If any of you have time and can test build 70607 or later, that'd be great.

Cheers

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM
Edited Nov 27, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Hi,

first of all: thanks for the great app.

Works fine with my RX-V 771. When I connect my RX-V 473 to the same network, the app crashes after detecting the receiver.

Just wanted to give feedback here and offer some help in testing the app if needed.

BTW: Neither of the receiver answers to the URL http://192.168.1.117/YamahaRemoteControl/Icons/icon040.png (Of course, I changed the IP-Address).

Thanks,

Christian

EDIT: Using Nokia Lumia 920

Coordinator
Nov 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM

CDLH,

Thanks for your feedback. I've just published an new version of the app (1.2) to the store. It's going to take some time (5 business days) before its finished threw certification, but hopefully this latest update will address your issue with the RX-v473. I'm really sorry you had to experience that.

Once the update is live in the store, I'll update this thread.

Cheers.

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM

All,

The v1.2.0.0 update is live in the store (at least here in the U.S.). So when you get a chance, please update the app and see if you're able to get past the device loading screen.

Cheers.

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:55 PM
Edited Dec 4, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Hi,

Thank you for the fix (v1.2.0.0) it works perfectly

Alex,

HTC MOZART &  RX-V673

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Hi,

LOVE this app - thank you!  Overall works great.

A couple of things I'd like to note, in particular the network play:  

1) When selecting the Server (Connected to a Windows 7 box), I cannot navigate back up.  

2) Sometimes need to manually refresh (not a huge issue).

3) Power on button does not work, although power off does.

Nokia 920 & Yamaha RX-A1020. 

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Hi,

first thanks for the update. It is working fine with my A-1020.

One bug I noticed: when I turn of the receiver using your app, the scenes pages is removed from thepivot pages (bug or feature?) and when I then turn the receiever back on again scenes doesn't reappear (as a workarround I switch to zones and back and then everything is fine). And a minor UI bug: my zone is named "Wohnzimme" which is displayed with the last "e" on a new line (next to the on/off button). Seems like the label is a tiny bit to short to accomated zone namas that have the maximum length permitted by the receiver (if it would be all caps it probably would be still be a bit wider)

On a side note regarding the missing images for scenes: I installed the android app using bluestacks android enviroment on my Win 7 machine and it worked quiete well. This is a nice setup to capture network traffic using wireshark and the answers from the receiver delivered the same image URLs for scenes as the ones you are using (and which did not work). But as far as I can tell the images where never requested by the android app, although they appear in the UI. They probably have them baked in and the URL is just to identify the images to use. Maybe you can provide a way for users to specify images for scenes or inputs. Then they are free to use any image they like (even use screenshots of the android app and cut & paste the original images into the app ;-).

bat2001 wrote:

> 1) When selecting the Server (Connected to a Windows 7 box), I cannot navigate back up.

Same with me. But I tried the official Yamaha Android app and it did seem to have the same problem. So maybe a bug in the receiever

> 3) Power on button does not work, although power off does.

You need to enable network standy (?) on your receiver in order to allow for turning it on over networks. Works fine for me.

Coordinator
Dec 20, 2012 at 1:50 PM

@bat2001

Thanks for the feedback. I've noticed some reviews stating that powering on the device is not working. I don't have that issue with my device (RX-V867), but I'll try to look at the code to see if I see anything out of the ordinary. I'll also double check to see what command the iOS app sends to turn on a device and make sure that I'm making the same requests. 

@TAL_HH

Thanks for addressing some of bat2001's concerns.

Turning on the receiver should display the Scenes Pivot. I'll double check that on my end and go threw the code to see why that's not coming back for you. I'm unable to replicate your issue. Although the Scenes pivot goes away, when you turn the device back on, swiping left should show you the pivot. The reason I implemented it like that is because some Zones don't have Scenes, so after the device is powered on, I check to see if the Zone supports Scenes, and if it does, I show / hide the pivot accordingly. But I don't need the zone on for that information, so I'll fix it so it doesn't disappear. 

Thanks for bringing my attention to the Zone Name length. I'll put that TextBlock into a ViewBox so that regardless of the length of your Zone Name, you'll be able to read the entire thing.

Cool idea with Blue Stacks. I might definitely try to do that. I also noticed that the images were never requested when I was debugging the iOS app. The only reason why I didn't want to bundle images with the WP7 app is because I'd be redistributing Yamaha's copyrighted material. As it is, I'm using their logo as my icon (although I do think it makes sense). I just didn't want to push it too far as I've yet to be in contact with them. In the future, I'd like to contact Yamaha directly to be sponsored, or at the very lease, endorsed. Hopefully with that I'll be able to bundle official high resolution assets with the app so all users will see the nice icons. But we will see. As for custom images, I do like that idea. Might be a little cumbersome on the phone, but if I can create a Windows 8 app that gets synced with your Windows Phone device, then maybe we could have something. 

Thanks again with all of your feedback. Sorry I've been so out of touch on this thread lately. I've been busy working on some enhancements to my Verge app for WP7 (CodePlex / Windows Phone Store). I'd like to start discussing the next round of enhancements to the Yamaha app for Windows Phone as well as talk about layout and design of the Windows 8 app.