Yamaha AV Controller Enhancement Thread (Desktop)

Coordinator
May 3, 2012 at 12:11 PM

This thread is designed to discuss possible enhancements to the Desktop version of the Yamaha AV Controller. If you have a general enhancement request, please use the main Yamaha AV Controller Enhancement Thread.

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:52 AM

great tool. I would be nice to have extended PC/network play functionalities.

When will there be an updated version for the desktop?

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:30 AM

I must be missing something. Trying to run the app on W7 and it keeps trying to connect to the receiver at the wrong IP addr (192.168.0.103). How do I get it to use a different IP?

device = HTR-4065

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:42 AM
Hi
I am wondering if there is an update for this app.
I want to use it on my new Samsung ATIV pro tablet?
thanks
jtdt
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM
@ Piepsakul,

Sorry I haven't been investing much time in this version. Those network features are something I'd definitely like to add to this app, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to do it. Probably not for a while.

@ AndrewCo

I'm pretty sure on the phone you can only enter an IP address, so just make sure you're entering the correct IP. You can try to delete the device your connected to and try to re add it manually. The IP of the device might've changed if it was auto discovered.

@ JTDT

There is no update yet. I'll probably be releasing a Windows 8 App before I update this desktop version. I will update this thread once I begin working on updates on the desktop variant, but unfortunately I'm to swamped to make any promises on when I'll be able to start it.
Apr 7, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Great app just what I was looking for. Thanks for making this! Signed up just for this app.

I'm having the same issue as andrewco, defaulting to 190.168.0.103 at startup. Switching modes would also be nice (direct, 5ch stereo e.g.).
Apr 12, 2013 at 4:23 AM
andrewco and pasfoto - I have the same issue. I looked around for a config file or some way to change the default to my receiver's IP. No luck so far.

Until this is updated, a good work around for everyone with this issue might be to go into your router and assign a static IP for the receiver to force it to 192.168.0.103. But it sounded like jrall included an 'auto discover' feature and I'm not sure why it's not working.

jrall - a big THANK YOU for putting this app together! Great work!
Coordinator
Apr 12, 2013 at 1:31 PM
@Fizs / Pasfoto / Andrewco

I'm glad you enjoy using the app. Right now, the windows version (which hasn't been updated in a long time) has a hard coded IP in there. At the time, I didn't expect anyone to really use it, it was just for my own personal use and I set my Receiver to have a static IP.

Unfortunately right now I've been really busy at work and don't have the time to make changes. Additionally, when I do, I'll be focusing most of my time to get a Windows 8 version of the app into the store.

With that said, I'll to whip something up quick when I get a second, and push another build to CodePlex that'll let you configure your own IP (or hostname) and have that change persist after the app closes. I can't make any promises as to when it'll be done, but I'm so happy that you guys enjoy using the app I'll do my best to make it quick.

Thanks for the feedback and I'll let you know when the changes are done via this thread.

Cheers
Aug 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Still checking from time to time to see if you have updated the application. I'll be using my receiver for quite some time so still interested in an updated app :).
Aug 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Edited Aug 18, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Where can we send JRALL a little donation to keep this app alive? Lets show some LOVE$
Coordinator
Aug 27, 2013 at 5:30 PM
@Pasfoto

I'm so sorry I haven't updated the app in a while. I've been pretty busy with my day job, and as a result, YAVC has felt the pain. I do hope, at some point, to add some features and fix a few bugs. I really appreciate everyone on this discussion because they've been able to help me focus the little time I do have.

@ggnarl

Thank you so much. If you'd like to make a donation, please use the following link. My company is MasterDevs (there's only 3 of us) and we built YAVC. That would be the easiest way for you to make a donation to help support the development.

Thanks again to everyone. I really hope to add some new features and expand this app moving forward.

Cheers.
Oct 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Hi jrall

same issue as Pasfoto / Andrewco. when i launch the app in w7 the first screen is "receiver host name or ip address" which is set to the static 192.168.0.103 and i then get "invalid host please try again" when i hit enter.

i have changed the IP settings on my receiver (RX v475) to 192.168.0.103 and even tried changing the default gateway to this (altho i have no idea what this does - also kept subnet mask as 255.255.255.0). regardless, neither worked...

any ideas?

appreciate your help and this app if i can get it to work!

cheers
Coordinator
Nov 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM
PPH,

Sorry that there hasn't been a Windows 7 update in a good long while. This was just a side project for me and lately I've been super busy. With that said, I still want to make sure you can use your receiver. So lets dig in.

By default, the app just has that IP set. But you should be able to use either the IP or the Hostname of your receiver there. If you've manually set your device to 192.168.0.103 and you're on the same local network (i.e. same Wifi hotspot) you should be able to connect. If you, or anyone you know, has an Android or iOS device, see if they can connect using the official app. If they can, then we at least know your network is setup and working correctly and the issue is on the application side.

The Windows 7 version of this app is by far the oldest and least stable branch of code. Do you have a Windows Phone? If so you can try downloading the WP version of the app here:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/yamaha-av-controller/9b46214f-64ae-4bbe-9514-8b975519c38d

I wrote that one. So it'd be a good test to see if there's some breaking change I had in the Windows 7 version and not the Windows Phone version.

If you've got to this point, and you can connect to your device through another app (official or otherwise) then it means there's something wrong with the Windows 7 version of my app and I'll try to address it. To be honest, when I do get a chance to work on this app, I was probably going to work on a Windows 8 version. But maybe if we work together we can find out what the issue is and hopefully get the Windows 7 version to be a little more stable.

Hope that helps and I'm really sorry for the troubles you've had with the app.
Dec 7, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Could you please add Disk number as a sorting option (or standard leading sort key) for DLNA and local device tracks. This will improve the sort order for multi-disk compulations/albums.
Jan 6, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Hi jrall,

I'd like to somehow control my Receiver's volume directly through hardware (e.g. keyboard buttons, Griffin's PowerMate, Bluetooth knobs). This would be easier than having to open up the program each time or going over to my receiver to adjust its knob. Perhaps you could link it to Windows' system volume?
Jan 29, 2014 at 10:56 AM
Hi,
I installed today the Yamaha AV Controller on a Windows 8 laptop, using the ClickOnce installer, to control my RX-V673 receiver.
I believe it is running the desktop version (it is running in a squared window).
I overwrote the 192.168.0.103 default IP address with my IP (192.168.1.66) but kept on receiving "Invalid Host, please try again".

I was able to login once after I completely erased the field and typed my IP. Unfortunately, I was not able to reproduce this performance.
Even then, I could not use scene, nor input tab to change my receiver settings. Clicking on input/scene buttons had no effect (although scene's names appeared according to my settings).

What could I do to make this app running?

(Note: I can connect/control my receiver using the official iPhone and Android Yamaha apps)
Feb 22, 2014 at 12:15 AM
jrall wrote:
PPH,

Sorry that there hasn't been a Windows 7 update in a good long while. This was just a side project for me and lately I've been super busy. With that said, I still want to make sure you can use your receiver. So lets dig in.

By default, the app just has that IP set. But you should be able to use either the IP or the Hostname of your receiver there. If you've manually set your device to 192.168.0.103 and you're on the same local network (i.e. same Wifi hotspot) you should be able to connect. If you, or anyone you know, has an Android or iOS device, see if they can connect using the official app. If they can, then we at least know your network is setup and working correctly and the issue is on the application side.

The Windows 7 version of this app is by far the oldest and least stable branch of code. Do you have a Windows Phone? If so you can try downloading the WP version of the app here:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/yamaha-av-controller/9b46214f-64ae-4bbe-9514-8b975519c38d

I wrote that one. So it'd be a good test to see if there's some breaking change I had in the Windows 7 version and not the Windows Phone version.

If you've got to this point, and you can connect to your device through another app (official or otherwise) then it means there's something wrong with the Windows 7 version of my app and I'll try to address it. To be honest, when I do get a chance to work on this app, I was probably going to work on a Windows 8 version. But maybe if we work together we can find out what the issue is and hopefully get the Windows 7 version to be a little more stable.

Hope that helps and I'm really sorry for the troubles you've had with the app.
Confirmed - I successfully use the official Android and iOS apps, but I'm having the fixed IP issue on your Windows 7 version. Thanks for all your hard work!
Mar 12, 2014 at 5:05 AM
I have the exact same issue. It also tries to connect to 192.168.0.103 when my Yamaha receiver has a reserved address of 192.168.0.24. It's weird and you cannot manually enter the correct IP.
Jun 6, 2014 at 2:32 AM
Awesome app, thanks a lot for making it. I was a little disappointed I bought a windows tablet but people like you make me glad I didn't. Some changed I would be enjoy a touch version and the ability to set a default ip address. Being able to click the bar where I want the volume to go would make it more convenient. Once again thanks
Dec 22, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Sounds like this older desktop program could use some work. I, unfortunately, was unable to download and run this software. Our Media System consists of the Aventage 3010 as core, connected to our flatscreen and computer (Windows 7) with remote mini keyboard. We control our viewing selections here as well as accessing our server for music and videos. All our music streaming etc, is via this computer access. Phones and tables are fine but most are single program use - you close one app to start up another - this is the way to go for a full on media system