This project is read-only.

Windows 8 Metro Style App

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Great work on this project, looks like you've been doing all this on your own!

Any plans to get the Metro style app (yavc.Metro) you've started running again? I just got latest but can't seem to get it running.

I assume it's something to do with a difference between the version released at build last year and the latest one.

I did change:

<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\Microsoft\WindowsXaml\v1.0\Microsoft.Windows.UI.Xaml.CSharp.targets" />

To:

<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\Microsoft\WindowsXaml\v11.0\Microsoft.Windows.UI.Xaml.CSharp.targets" />

In both Metro and WinRT proj files.

Completely understand if you're trying to work on the phone project at the moment.

John.

May 2, 2012 at 9:26 PM

John,

Sorry for so long on the reply. I must've accidentally deleted the notification e-mail. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it moving forward. 

So yea, after I got a Windows Phone (HTC Trophy) in January, I immediately shifted gears to the Windows Phone project. When I started the Windows phone project, I tried to reuse as much code as I could. You'll notice that in the phone solution, I have a lot of 'links' to files versus just copying the file over when adding an existing item. From there, I ended up changing a bunch of code and it broke the Metro build. 

That's the short answer.

So it looks like I'm really, really close to deploying my Windows Phone app to the app store. Once that's done, I'll start back up on the Metro side of things. I'm going to try and reuse as much code as I can, but in situations where it doesn't make sense, I'll just duplicate the files.

What's your interest in this project? Do you have a Yamaha receiver? Just looking to get it up on your Windows 8 device? I'd love to get your feedback about the app and how to skin the Metro version so that it takes the most of the screen real estate. My goal is to make it snap-able as well. Now that there's an iPad version for iOS, I'll probably look at what Yamaha did to see how they took advantage of the added real estate.

Thanks a bunch for your interest in the project. I'll make sure to reply to this thread as soon as the Metro build is finally fixed, but if you have any other questions please feel free to contact me directly. 

Cheers.

//-- Joe

May 3, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Yes I have and love my yamaha amp, I'm sure like others I drive a zone 2 in a completely different part of the house so rely on the apps completely.

I'm currently using the ipad version and yes since they updated it from the iphone app it is much better but still very much an interface of buttons mimiking a remote. I use internet radio and dlna heaps so being able to nav through folders and choose music is important.

I have the Nokia Lumina 800 and we built a commerical public transport app (Transhub) last year that won us a trip to //build so also have the Samsung Windows8 Slate, awesome little device :)

Busy time here for me with commerical projects (do a lot with data visualisation and BI with Bing Maps and Silverlight) and I'm just about to head to China for 3 weeks with little to no internet.

I'd be more then happy to give you lots of feedback and ideas when I return if that fits your timeframes, I could start a thread for ideas and contribute some. We have 3 models of WP7 devices at the office (Mozart, HD7 and Nokia 800), happy to test before you publish to the marketplace. Also if you want some tips on the Marketplace process let me know.

I'll check back in 3 weeks,

John.

May 3, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Edited May 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM
John,

That's awesome. As you can tell, I'm also a huge fan of my Yamaha amp and working on this project has really made me appreciate it even more. Money well spent :)

Your trip sounds exciting. I wish you all the best. The timeframe works out great because it'll give me an opportunity to finish what I'm working on. There's only a few small enhancements I wanted to have finished for v1, so I should have no trouble knocking them out before you return.

It'd mean a real lot to me having you test the phone app on different devices. Making sure YAVC is fast and fluid on all WP7 devices is a must if we want this app to be successful.

Starting an idea / enhancements thread is a great plan. I'm really looking forward to hearing your feedback as well. Also, getting some advice on Marketplace submissions would be great.

Enjoy your trip (even though it may be tough being 'off the grid' for a bit) and we'll sync up when you return.

//-- Joe
Jun 10, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Joe,

Ran up the latest today on WP7, looking really good. Working flawlessly on the Nokia Lumia 800, auto detected the amp on the phone (had to manually enter IP on emulator). Looks great in Nokia Blue theme :)

Only page that looks a bit out of place is the device select screen, justs needs an icon next to the device, with the status bar under it looks like a heading.

Let me know when you want me to do a complete set of tests, happy to help.

john.

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:56 AM

John,

Really glad to hear you had success with the app. Not going to lie, I'm a little jealous of your Nokia Blue theme :)

I agree on the device select screen. I'll update the UI to show the image. Do you think I should completely remove the progress bar after the device has successfully been loaded?

Thanks for helping out with the testing. I want to do a few small refinements and maybe a feature or two, before I wrap the build up to submit it for approval. I'm hoping to be ready by the end of the week. I'll keep you posted and let you know what build # is the first release.

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:59 PM

John,

I've updated the start page (device select). Please see this change set (#69289).

I'm going to try and finish up the listing features as well as the media control features (play / pause / next song). Not sure if they'll make the cut for the first release to the marketplace, but we'll see how it goes.

I'll keep you posted.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:15 PM
Edited Jul 29, 2012 at 11:18 PM

The Metro solution is now working. You should be able to sync to the head revision (http://yavc.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/69661) and open up yavc.Metro.sln and you'll be all set.

Metro.png

I'm not sure how I feel right now about the UI of Metro. I definitely want to be able to support both Full Screen and Snapped modes, as well as Portrait mode. For now this layout suffices, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I can confirm it is working, took a while to get my machines upgraded, I had to wait till the release of win8 and vs2012 last week to get everything running.

Will get a chance to play more and give you some ideas and feedback on the weekend.

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:27 AM

Sounds good, take your time. The UI needs a lot of work. Hopefully we can work through it together to create something presentable :)